Kaosan Road, Bangkok
Beautiful Sunday morning in Bangkok. The sun rising over the top of the trees, bathing me in God’s glory. I slept through the night again, PRAISE GOD! Only woke up once in the middle of the night, but went back to sleep right away. Tyler and Kathryn arrive last night, but I have yet to meet them because I was asleep by the time they arrive. Thank you all for your prayers. Shannon’s allergies are subsiding, the swelling in gone from her face but there is still redness under her left eye and on her nose. However, she is constantly drowsy from her medications yet she is still having trouble sleeping at night. Kim is also having trouble sleeping. Keep us all in your prayers.
Yesterday, we visited Kaosan Road. Liana from the Netherlands and Leah from California joined us. Kaosan Road is a backpacker’s heaven; filled with hostels and street venders. It was a great opportunity to practice the little Thai that I know. “Sawatdee, khrab.” “Khrob koon, khrab.” (Hello, and thank you) Funny thing is that when we travel about in a group or in restaurants, the locals will come up to me and speak to me first, because I am the only Asian in the group.
The market experience is a great chance to soak in the culture and to get to know the team better. In the market I observed how superstitious the locals are. I saw one vendor take out a 100 baht bill and slap all her merchandise after every sale. And how almost every taxi is filled with buddha and religious items. Since I have been sitting in the front seat in all our taxi rides (being up close and personal with the traffic and expert driving), every time we drive by the New Life Church near the OMF Home I would point to the huge Jesus poster and say “Jesu” just to see what kind of reaction we would get. Many locals have yet to know who Jesus is, there is a huge need here.
Matthew 9:37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
The are only about 50 OMF missionaries in Thailand… and this country is wide open. Where are the workers? Ezekiel 37 has been ringing in my head. Lord, rise up an army from dry bones, so that this army will proclaim your name. Lord, just like Ezekiel, I want to be that prophet who calls out into the valley of dry bones. Give me the strength and courage. Put words in my mouth.
Yesterday, we visited Kaosan Road. Liana from the Netherlands and Leah from California joined us. Kaosan Road is a backpacker’s heaven; filled with hostels and street venders. It was a great opportunity to practice the little Thai that I know. “Sawatdee, khrab.” “Khrob koon, khrab.” (Hello, and thank you) Funny thing is that when we travel about in a group or in restaurants, the locals will come up to me and speak to me first, because I am the only Asian in the group.
The market experience is a great chance to soak in the culture and to get to know the team better. In the market I observed how superstitious the locals are. I saw one vendor take out a 100 baht bill and slap all her merchandise after every sale. And how almost every taxi is filled with buddha and religious items. Since I have been sitting in the front seat in all our taxi rides (being up close and personal with the traffic and expert driving), every time we drive by the New Life Church near the OMF Home I would point to the huge Jesus poster and say “Jesu” just to see what kind of reaction we would get. Many locals have yet to know who Jesus is, there is a huge need here.
Matthew 9:37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
The are only about 50 OMF missionaries in Thailand… and this country is wide open. Where are the workers? Ezekiel 37 has been ringing in my head. Lord, rise up an army from dry bones, so that this army will proclaim your name. Lord, just like Ezekiel, I want to be that prophet who calls out into the valley of dry bones. Give me the strength and courage. Put words in my mouth.

1 Comments:
reading this has already made me cry.
Post a Comment
<< Home